What to do if you need to make an escape of water claim

What is escape of water?

An escape of water claim would arise when damage is done as the result of a burst pipe or malfunctioning boiler for example and it’s one of the most common causes of damage to properties. It wouldn’t apply if water leaked into your property through the roof.

What is and isn’t covered:

Depending on the circumstances and policy wording it’s unlikely there will be any cover for the cost of the repair of the pipe or water apparatus itself. It’s important to bear in mind that the cover is for damage to the building or contents resulting from the escape of water. Most insurers, won’t cover damage from a gradual deterioration or wear and tear – the cover is intended for sudden, unforeseen damage.

Contact us for a detailed appraisal of your policy.

Speeding up the claims process

Time is of the essence with escape of water claims. In order for us to be able to get the claim settled quickly and effectively, we need as much information from you as soon as possible. Equally, you have a right to expect certain commitments from your insurer.

What we need to know from you

  • When was the leak/damage discovered, where is it, what caused it and how long has it been occurring?  
  • Is the property occupied and if not, when was it last occupied?  
  • Has the leak been stopped or fixed? If not, please provide details why this is not possible.  
  • We need you to give an appraisal of what damage has been caused and how bad it is. 
  • If you have an estimate for cost of repairs, please let us know.  
  • Are you still able to live at the property or has the damage forced you to live elsewhere? 
  • Prior to the leak, has any recent work been carried out in the property or in the vicinity of the leak? We may be able to recover from a third party if they have caused the leak, which will make life a lot easier for you. 


Depending on the answers to the above questions your insurers may:

  • Agree a figure for the cost of repairs without the need for an estimate. 
  • Request estimates are obtained for the repairs. 
  • Ask one of their surveyors or loss adjusters to visit to help guide you through the claim process.  
  • If the property is uninhabitable, the policy may pay for you to stay in alternative accommodation or pay for loss of rent. However, not all policies have this cover so speak to us about this when arranging the policy. 


What next?

If you are unsure about any aspect of your policy and what will and won’t be covered in the event of a claim, contact us. We will be able to give you all the information and reassurance you need.